The postponement of the Indian Premier League due to the worldwide Coronavirus outbreak is being discussed by the government.
Talks are taking place on whether a postponement of IPL 2020 is necessary, according to Maharashtra health minister Rajesh Tope.
IPL 13 is due to start on March 29 when defending champions Mumbai Indians take on Chennai Super Kings. That game, as well as seven others, will be held in Mumbai.
However, with coronavirus cases on the rise across the country, government officials are still discussing a possible postponement.
The current cases of coronavirus now stands at 42 after new cases were reported in Kashmir, Jammu, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh.
Heath minister Tope explained: “There is always a danger of spread (of contagious diseases) when people gather in large numbers. Such events can always be organised later. So discussion is on whether to postpone the IPL.
The Maharashtra Health Ministry released the statement saying “15 people are under observation while 258 have been discharged. Not a single person has been found positive for coronavirus infection in the state, as of now.”
Ganguly believes IPL will get go-ahead
Despite postponement talks being held by the government, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly seems confident the tournament will go ahead as planned.
He has previously said: “It's on and BCCI will take all protection (against coronavirus).”
Meanwhile, a BCCI source has said that the tournament would likely follow precautionary guidelines and advise players not to shake hands with fans.
Coronavirus and the EPL
One tournament that has already fallen victim to the coronavirus outbreak is the 2020 edition of the Everest Premier League in Nepal.
“We are naturally all sad at today's announcement of having to temporarily postpone the 2020 EPL, but we simply have to put the health and wellbeing of all Nepalis and our overseas players before everything else,” said tournament managing director Aamir Akhtar last week.