South Africa vs England 2nd Test Preview – Betting Tips, Latest Odds, Team News and Predictions – 03/01/2020
South Africa’s new dawn, under new management started very well in the first Test at SuperSport Park in Centurion, where England were defeated by 107 runs.
The victory afforded the hosts an early lead in the four-match series – and continued England’s poor stretch of form in Test cricket. They lost the Ashes series to Australia and were then defeated by New Zealand – and are now trailing South Africa.
England were hampered by sickness in the series opener, which saw Jack Leach and other players ruled out of the XI. Joe Root and others were also sick during the match. They’ve recovered – and have a lot of ‘catch-up cricket’ to play this time.
South Africa vs England 2nd Test – Match Preview
Where: Newlands, Cape Town, South Africa
When: Friday 3rd January
Start Time: 13:30 (IST), 8:00 (GMT)
South Africa vs England 2nd Test – Latest Odds
South Africa are tipped at 2.00 to win the Newlands Test and take an unbeatable two-nil series lead. England are backed at 2.30 to level the series ahead of the final two matches.
There are attractive odds on the draw at 8.00, especially if some unseasonable rain plays its part at Newlands.
Open an account with bet365 today and bet on a huge range of markets with the world’s favourite online sports betting company. 18+. Full terms and conditions apply. https://Begambleaware.org. https://www.gamblingtherapy.org/
- Register for a bet365 account
- Make your first qualifying deposit (minimum 400 INR)
- Wager your initial deposit
- The Bet Credits will be available in your account
- You can use your Bet Credits as normal by selecting the box on the bet slip
South Africa vs England 2nd Test – Team News
The Proteas will definitely be without opening batsman Aiden Markram, who has been sidelined by a finger injury. He will likely be replaced by the uncapped Pieter Malan, who is in line for a Test debut at his home ground – and is in the individual batting markets at 6.00 to score the most runs in the first innings for South Africa.
Whether Temba Bavuma returns to the Proteas XI to replace Rassie van der Dussen remains in the balance. Bavuma hasn’t enjoyed a particularly good stretch of form at Test level, while van der Dussen scored a half-century on debut. But in South Africa, transformation targets sometimes require black African players to be picked instead of Caucasians.
A lot of England players suffered from sickness before and during the first Test in Centurion. Dom Sibley was the latest example, but has recovered, as have Ollie Pope and others. Sibley will likely be retained for the second Test at Newlands – and bettors can back him to score the most runs for England at 6.00.
The tourists might be without Jofra Archer, who is nursing an elbow injury. He was not at his best in Centurion. Stuart Broad and James Anderson did not bowl particularly well either and coach Chris Silverwood has said he isn’t afraid to drop either veteran from the bowling attack. That opens the door for a return for Dom Bess, who would bolster the spin-bowling ranks and add some depth to the batting order.
South Africa vs England 2nd Test – Betting Tips
Just like at SuperSport Park, Newlands is something of a fortress for South Africa. They have only lost to Australia here in since 1967 and have not been beaten by England at this ground since 1958.
South Africa’s last 30 Tests at this stadium have only brought three defeats for the hosts. Five draws are included in that stretch.
Philander to enjoy good final Test at Newlands
Veteran seamer Vernon Philander will retire from all forms of international cricket at the end of this series and then pursue a Kolpak contract with Somerset in English county cricket. He was superb during the first Test and is backed to continue that characteristic excellence at his home ground.
Philander has taken 51 wickets in 10 Tests at Newlands, including four five wicket hauls. Bettors are well advised to pick him at 4.00 with Betway to be South Africa’s top wicket-taker in the first innings and he is also a good choice in the Newlands Man of the Match markets at 13.00.
If not Philander, then Anrich Nortje at 4.50 to be the top wicket-taker in the first innings is a good selection as well. He is still young in terms of Test experience, but knows the Newlands conditions well after play for the Cape Town Blitz in the Mzansi Super League. Nortje was really good in the series opener – and his extra pace will come in handy at Newlands.
New Indian Customers only | Opt-in required | Bonus based on 1st deposit of ₹200+ | 3x deposit and wagering at odds of 1.75+ | Welcome Offer valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+ | T&Cs apply | https://begambleaware.org
1. This offer is only available to new customers at Betway Sports.
2. To qualify for this offer, you must tick the box ‘I wish to receive the Welcome Bonus and accept the Terms and Conditions’ during the registration process.
3. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new Account being registered.
4. If you opt in to receive this offer during the registration process, you will automatically receive a bonus with your first deposit, provided this is made within 7 days of your new Account being registered.
5. If you ticked the box ‘I wish to receive Welcome Bonus and accept the Terms and Conditions’ by mistake, or if you do not want to receive any further bonuses, or if you wish to cancel this offer please contact Customer Support.
6. To withdraw each bonus and any winnings associated with it, you need to wager an amount equal to six (6) times the applicable bonus granted – i.e. ₹200 Bonus granted would require ₹1200 (6 x ₹200) to be wagered before the bonus and any associated winnings can be withdrawn. As with all bonuses you can withdraw your cash balance at any time.
7. Bets placed at certain odds will contribute a different percentage towards the wagering requirements. Please see the ‘Wagering Contributions’ section for more details
8. This offer may not be claimed in conjunction with any other promotions currently offered by Betway Sports and is subject to on-going review. Betway Sports reserves the right to amend this bonus offer at any time, including no longer offering this promotion.
9. Flexi Bonus General Terms and Conditions apply.
Matched First Deposit
100% Deposit Bonus up to ₹2500
3x deposit and wagering at odds of 1.75+
Stokes to rekindle Newlands love affair
Ben Stokes reminded all exactly what he is capable during a brief cameo in Centurion, which included successive sixes off bowler Keshav Maharaj.
Stokes enjoyed a prolific 2019 during the Ashes, the World Cup and surrounds. His first Test of 2020 will be at Newlands, where he hit a wonderful double-century in Test cricket against South Africa this time three years ago. The double-ton was combative and entertaining.
His role with the ball, too, will be important at Newlands. If Archer does not play and one of Broad or Anderson is replaced, England are going to need their best all-rounder to come to the party with the bat and especially the ball. He is priced at 7.00 to be England’s top-wicket taker in the first innings. Because he can star with bat and ball, betting on Stokes to be Man of the Match at 11.00 is a really good cricket betting tip.
South Africa vs England 2nd Test – Prediction
To reiterate, Newlands is a great ground for South Africa in Test cricket. England have not won a Test match at this ground in several decades and will struggle to bounce back from their defeat in Centurion. A lot is going to depend on Ben Stokes and how he performs with bat and ball. South Africa really should win this one, even if they are without Aiden Markram and add another debutant in the ranks. England, who are ODI World Cup champions, are really struggling in Test match cricket, given their Ashes and New Zealand series defeats.
Best Bet: Ben Stokes to be named Man of the Match at 11.00 with Bet365